Boxing is a hand-striking art which places a strong emphasis on footwork for ideal position and angle. Boxing makes up a key piece of a self-defense skill set. With techniques suited to every body type it makes a very adaptable martial art.
Our Portland boxing curriculum draws from training with Professor Leonard Trigg who has coached many successful professional and Olympic athletes. Our boxing classes are high paced, energetic and fun. Drills can be worked at a variety of intensity levels. Plus, at NWFA we pair you with training partners who have similar goals. So, whether you are looking to test the waters, get into great shape and have fun, or training to compete, our boxing classes can work for you.
Refined Boxing Classes
NWFA provides specialized and professional boxing training in Portland. With years of experience, our expert instructors will help you grow as a boxer in the following ways:
- You will learn proper stance and footwork. This will provide you with a solid foundation and the ability to maintain that base while moving. Without a sound foundation all techniques, offensive or defensive will have a fraction of their potential effectiveness.
- You will develop fluidity in your body and head movements. Using slips, rolls and other body/head maneuvers, a boxer is able to flow around force without extending the opportunity to counter.
- You will learn a variety of blocks, parries and other counters to deal with incoming strikes skillfully leaving yourself in a good position to counter attack or defend yourself further.
- You will improve your accuracy and power through a refined set of strikes
- You will learn correct techniques, which is essential to effective training. Knowing the basics, such as making a proper fist and throwing a correct punch in a structure and supported manner can help prevent any future injuries. . You will develop a strong foundation.. Having strong foundation training will also enable you to yield and redirect your opponent’s force or attack.
- Our boxing instructors will work continuously with you on developing your rhythm and timing to perfect your fighting skills.
- You will tone and strengthen every muscle in your body to improve your stamina. Every striking class uses a variety of exercises to improve fitness in a dynamic, always challenging environment.
Benefits from Boxing Training at NWFA
Learning at NWFA helps you work on improving your fitness and upper body strength like no other martial art form. A lot of people find cardiovascular exercises to be monotonous. Running or using a StairMaster can get boring and inconsistent. Boxing provides great cardio exercise while also working out the entire body. The right kind of boxing training will strengthen your core muscles, arms and legs while getting your heart pumping at the same time. And of course, the benefit of knowing an art form for self-defense is undeniable.
The instructors at NWFA use basic boxing combinations and techniques to put together numerous workout routines so it never gets monotonous. You will refine your skills and increase your body’s stamina and strength — all while enjoying the experience.
You will work with different training partners during the course of the session. This will help you learn to adapt your skills to different opponents and learning to counter their moves. This becomes extremely essential in real-world circumstances where your opponent isn’t expected to follow a set pattern or routine. This will help you naturally synchronize your actions and reactions with those of your partner.
To learn more about our Portland Boxing classes, call us at 503-235-3435 to speak to one of our instructors.